Powered by Blogger.

bmw motorcycle

Sunday, September 22, 2013


BMW Motorcycles - A Little Motorcycle Wisdom

Why choose BMW motorcycles? There are many reasons, I'm sure. One reason I can give you is that I've been riding them for over 10 years and they have never left me stranded. Except for running out of gas once because of my own stupidity.
Some of the other pluses are: they have good power, get great gas mileage (usually 45-70 MPG depending on which model you choose), have very stable handling, long distance comfort and they are just plain fun to ride!
What's not to like?
I know that some think that BMW motorcycles are the highest priced bikes around, but that's not really true. Just like anything else, you can spend a large or small amount on them depending on the type, size and amount of accessories you decide on. They have entry level bikes up to high end models and everything in between. Other manufacturers have bikes that cost as much or more.
I have been riding motorcycles since 1987, and have owned many different brands and sizes. I've owned Gold Wings, and several others including Harley, Yamaha and a few smaller Hondas.
I traded in a Gold Wing after test riding a BMW R1100GS. It was the first of many BMW's I've had; a big dual sport bike that handled great and was a lot of fun. There have been several others over the years, including the K1200LT, which is a big luxury touring bike that my wife and I rode to Georgia and back. That was a really fun trip. Saw temperatures from 32 deg F to about 90 deg F, fog and rain.
I currently have an R1200RT. It's a sport touring type of bike and my favorite so far. It weighs less than the full-boat touring bikes, but is still very comfortable. Since it has about 100 horsepower it can move quickly if you need it to. Or just want it to.
This bike has a lot of goodies on it that my wife really enjoys. Heated seats, a power outlet that she can plug in an electric vest to (one of the many available BMW motorcycle accessories) on cold days, and a suspension that I can adjust with the touch of a button to select a comfort setting for her. That is an important consideration for us, since she has had back surgery and can't really take too harsh of a ride without it causing pain. She says this bike is the most comfortable one I've had. She loves it! And when she's happy, I'm happy!
It also has an electrically adjustable windshield that's the cat's meow! It can be adjusted on the fly so I can dial it in to that "just right" position for wind control. Also on this fine machine are heated hand grips, cruise control, removable side bags / trunk and anti-lock brakes. In my humble opinion this is the best bike around for motorcycle touring. I just need more time to ride.
Wisdom and Knowledge
My introduction to the world of BMW bikes began at Gina's BMW motorcycles in Iowa City, Iowa. The owners, Gina and Julius Dusterhoft, are riders too. They have always been a great source of help and advice to me.
If you are thinking about getting a motorcycle, then consider a BMW. Make sure to find a dealer that you like and are comfortable with. I did and I don't regret it. They will have a lot of experience and knowledge they can share with you to save you a lot of aggravation. Ride the different models and see for yourself how they perform and feel. I think you will find they are a pretty good value. Most of the time the old saying is true -- you get what you pay for. I believe that's true for the BMW motorcycles.
You may think this sounds like one long commercial for BMW bikes, but it's not. I'm just sharing my experience in order to help you make an informed decision when you decide to purchase your next bike. There are a lot of choices out there. After many years of riding I have chosen BMW's for my rides. I only wish I had done it sooner. Happy Riding!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

Followers